Friday, September 23, 2011

Reading... and books (My Sister Jodie)

When I was a kid, I thought reading was something you do when your really bored and have nothing else to do.. in other words I just hated reading, unlike my brother who loved reading since the time he was 4 or 5. The first thing he would do was pull out a book from his book shelf... he loved reading soo much.

Then, I just discoverd the joy of reading since the age of 11... but I did other things like Bharatnatyam (Indian classical dance), art, Taekwando. But now I love reading. My favourite authors are Jacqueline Wilson, Meg Cabot (only some of her books) and JK Rowling (I haven't read all her books except the first book of Harry Potter.., but I think her imagination is amaizing... I have watched all the HP movies and am a huge fan!!)

Let me share with you a little about the book My Sister Jodie by Jacqueline Wilson.

Pearl and Jodie are sisters, Jodie is 14 and she is the tough, boisterous elder sister while Pearl is 10, the shy, bookish younger sister. Their mother and father, Sharon and Joe, decide to move from where they live to a place called Melchester College, where they have both got new jobs as the cook and the caretaker, to give the girls a good chance with their education.

Jodie doesn't want to move but Pearl is glad because she gets bullied a lot at her school. She knows that she'll be bullied at secondary school too. When they reach there at first Jodie likes it, but when term re-opens she has a rought time with the teachers and the students bully her.

Jodie climbs up to the tower and dresses up as the ghost, making everyone scream and be scared, even the seniors. But then she realizes that little Dan, whom Jodie has a soft spot for, is very scared, she pulls the dress off and attempts to open the window and call out that it is only her, but she tugs too hard. Then disaster strikes, and Jodie falls out of the window, breaks her neck and dies instantly. Pearl and her parents are devastated.

Newspapers claim Jodie committed suicide (although she didn't). They leave Melchester College to live in a flat in London, because they say that they wouldn't be able to face everyone or that tower ever again....

No comments: